I have always loved nighttime. You know, the time in the evening when all the kiddos are tucked away in their beds and the house is quiet. A sense of peace and calm falls over me knowing my children are safe and healthy and SLEEPING. I love watching them sleep when they are little. They're like little angels. (I'm sure the big kids are angelic also, it's just that they are seldom asleep before me these days.) When one or more of our kids is gone for the night, it just feels strange to me.
Needless to say, the past 5 weeks have seemed strange to me. I tuck the kids in...but one is missing. She is half a world away, and it is morning where she lives. As I lie in bed at night, I wonder about her. How was her night? What is she having for breakfast? Is she in a good mood today? Has she been hugged? In the first few weeks it was even more basic. Does she smile...ever? Is she being well-cared for? The list could go on and on and the only way I know to deal with the madness of asking questions that are likely unanswerable is to pray. So that's what I do. I pray. I pray for my little girl and anything I can think of regarding her. I tell God my concerns and then I trust him.
Well, God has shown me several times in the past several weeks that my trust is not misplaced. My first jaw-dropping moment came one week after seeing her picture for the first time. Through the wonder of the internet I had quickly connected with a group of parents who had or were adopting from Emersyn's orphanage. After spending several days and nights struggling with the lack of information we had about her, I connected with a woman who is not only adopting one of Emersyn's roommates, but who also had videos of Emersyn that were taken in December. God knew this mother's heart and had those videos waiting for me. There she was, smiling at me through the camera lens.
Fast forward several weeks and a little gift appears in my inbox this morning, after lying in bed last night wondering about her, feeling like I can't handle the wait until we get her... 6 new photos of Emersyn...playing, smiling, cheesing it up for the camera.
God knows. He knows one is missing. He knows it's hard for me, and I love that he wanted to show me that he knows by blessing me with glimpses of her. He has every hair on her head numbered, and every hair on mine numbered as well. He's not too busy to care about the concerns of this mommy. I love that about him.
Happy Birthday!
5 years ago
MANY Congratulations! I just saw your blog on the FCC email. We have 2 children from China... our daughter is also from Guangdong (Yangdong SWI).
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post....
Praise God!!!
awesome. He is amazing!!
ReplyDelete