"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sorry for the technical difficulties we had getting our first day with Emme post up on the blog.  Apparently you can't attach a gazillion photos to an email and send it to blogger successfully.  Silly me.  Hopefully we have remedied the problem. 

Things are continuing to go well.  Yesterday we completed various adoption documents and procedures, and today we had her medical exam/TB test (let's just say I appreciate the nurses at my pediatrician's office a LOT more now) and filed for her local passport.  She has done very well through all of this, but she does sense what is going on around her and begins to withdraw or tear up a bit when we head out in the official "van" for an appointment.  Our guide is wonderful and works very hard to reassure her and explain things to her.  

We also had the great joy of seeing a bit of Dong Yi's personality come out today and learning a bit more about her as a result.  We ate at a local Chinese restaurant for lunch, and she grabbed the chopsticks and began drumming on everything she could find (still looking to us for approval).  When the food came and we filled her bowl with noodles, she rejected the spoon and dug in with the chopsticks.  We were told that they use spoons at the orphanage, so it was funny to see her use the chopsticks like a pro (well, a 3yr. old pro, anyway).

Later in the day we spent some time in the hotel playroom.  It appears as if they only use the playground at the orphanage for photo ops with her age group, because she had absolutely no clue what to do with a slide.  No clue.  I am not really surprised given the lack of muscle tone in her hips and legs, though.  This is not a child who has been running and climbing.    

Probably the most fun came when we sat down and started tossing the beach ball around.  At first she just watched us like she had never even seen a ball before, but before long she was throwing and hitting and kicking the ball.  She happened to make a funny face and got Madelyn laughing pretty good.  Once she realized we were amused by her, she hammed it up for the next 15 minutes.  It was fun to see her be a little less reserved.  She is still incredibly shy most of the time.

She now understands what it means to go potty, sit down, and get her shoes on.   She is also copying various words when she is so inclined, like ball, bye-bye, kitty cat.  She has the biggest eyes and the most adorable sheepish grin.   We are head-over-heels in love, and possibly in for a wild ride with our two three year olds.

The photos are of Emme's first taste of ice cream, our walk thru the market, some time playing, and Ty and Madelyn feeding their addiction to Angry Birds on the ipod.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Heather, I am following along joyously!! I haven't been able to post yet, because I have been at work most of the time and following on my blackberry. Your Dong Yi is precious and I am glad to hear she is opening up. I had a feeling that the playground at the orphanage in the photos is not played on often. I will keep reading as you all move through this amazing week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather!!! I am reading this through tear filled eyes... I am so happy for you guys!! She looks just perfect!! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay!! I'm finally home from the cottage and have a chance to catch up on your blog! She is amazing!!! and looks like such a perfect fit to your family. BTW,when did Madelyn grow up? She looks like such a young lady in all these pics. CraZY!
    CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE YOU HOME!!!
    K

    ReplyDelete